For more information about Exercise (see below) and Cholesterol, these are some trustworthy resources:
Heart Disease Risk Calculators:
- The 2013 AHA Heart Disease Prevention Guidelines – General Info Page with links to the CV Risk Calculator: Prevention Guidelines, with links to the online and downloadable 10-Year Risk Calculator
- Online AHA 10-Year Heart Disease Risk Calculator: Web version
- Mayo Clinic Risk Calculator
- My Calculating Heart Disease Risk article on Answers.com which explains how these risk calculators work.
- My post, Calculate Your Heart Attack Risk Online.
General Information about Cholesterol:
- About Cholesterol: from The American Heart Association
- High Cholesterol: from the Mayo Clinic
- High Cholesterol Basics: from Everyday Health
- From medical training site: ACLS Guide to Answering Your Cholesterol Questions. While a bit jargony, it’s a good way to see many aspects of cholesterol in one place.
- Business Week article: Do Cholesterol Drugs Do Any Good?
- Interpreting Cholesterol Test Results: from the Mayo Clinic
- The Cleveland Clinic’s ‘What you need to know about Triglycerides‘
- Triglycerides FAQ, from the American Heart Association
- From the Mayo Clinic: Nutrition and Healthy Eating – dietary guidelines for protein, fat, cholesterol, fiber, sodium, etc.
- Cleveland Clinic’s Nutrition-Cholesterol Guidelines lists out the % of total calories recommended for each type of nutritional element: % of calories from fat, cholesterol, etc. This page has changed: here is link to new page with dietary guidelines. If you open up TLC guidelines then PRINT IT, you can see the guidelines per day.
- KLS bagel & lox versus Oatmeal comparison.
Foods/Cooking to Lower Cholesterol
- Going Lo-Co chart comparing Kielbasa, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers: full fat vs lean
- Cholesterol: Top 5 foods to lower your numbers: from the Mayo Clinic
- Cooking for Lower Cholesterol: from The American Heart Association
- Checklist: Your Low-Cholesterol Diet – 9 food tips to lower cholesterol: from WebMD
Here is some information about the role exercise plays in lowering cholesterol: