So far 2012 has not been a banner year for me lo-co wise. For weeks now, I’ve been out of lo-co control. The good habits I’d built have flown the coop in the face of these events:
- On Jan 2 my boss called to say that as of February 1st, I had to go on a ‘temporary leave’ while funding issues got resolved. The stress begins.
- In mid-Jan I had LASIK, and though I can’t complain (it went incredibly well) it has not been an easy journey:
- I felt forced into it because the only contact lens that fits my apparently oh-so-oddly-shaped eye was discontinued.
- That huge bill arrived right as my job ended, which was, um, NOT the plan.
- The stress persists: every morning I’m a little afraid to open my eyes. Every morning. (Yes, I get this is irrational. Can’t seem to stop it though. Sigh.)
- He stated – without a look at any medical info – that my problem is not cholesterol but inflammation, and that I should: a) find something else to blog about, and b) have him do a TON of blood tests to get at the root cause of said inflammation.
- His credibility fell further (I know – not possible, right?) when I asked whether his dog was always in his office because I’m allergic to dogs. His reply? Allergies aren’t real – that my issue was due to an immunosuppressant deficiency that he could fix as well. I sneezed my way out of there as fast as I could.
The result of all this has been an acute, long-lasting and embarrassing case of STRESS EATING. I’ve stopped preparing dinner. And have eaten at Wendy’s so often in the past several weeks, that to count – which I will not do – I’d need to use toes.
It’s bad enough that I’m not cooking – and eating at Wendy’s. What’s even more suprising (and yet, I’m doing it) is that I’ve somehow managed to give up the good lo-co habits that TAKE NO EFFORT.
- In recent weeks I’ve stopped taking my daily Centrum Cardio vitamin (I ran out…which is true, but how dog-ate-my-homework of me, right?)
- And I’ve stopped taking Metamucil. Which is LAME because the giant orange container sits right out on my counter – next to the coffee machine. And somehow, I manage not to notice it so I keep forgetting to mix and chug.
So far in 2012 I’ve been feeling totally out of control. Actually worse: control-less.
Want to see what control-less looks like?
In fact, I’d already bought a few. Like 6 at a time. On previous visits. For example, in preparation for our college trip. Those other times, I bought them like a normal person – put them in a hand cart and brought them to the register with other items.
But not this time. This time, without even a hint of shame, I removed the entire CASE from the shelf and carried it up to the cash register. A case. All the while lying to myself that it wasn’t THAT BAD because it was only 1/2 full. That I was just taking the case to the register because I didn’t have a hand-cart and it was easier to grab the case.
Oh, the lies.
What’s worse is that Easter isn’t until April. You may remember from, “The Siren Call of Girl Scout Cookies & Easter Candy” that I find these marshmallow eggs along with Thin Mints – which are sure to be just around the corner – completely irresistible.
So I’m at risk for further candy-case purchases.
Luckily this new low seems to have sprung me from my hamburger and sugar-induced coma. Yesterday I bought a new pack of Centrum Cardio vitamins… and also managed to pluck that Metamucil container from its hiding place right out in the open.
I swallowed a vitamin (along with my Fish Oil pills which I, luckily – and for no apparent reason- did not stop taking) then chugged a glass of Metamucil.
Then I did it again today.
I’m hoping I can get back to ‘normal’ before all the marshmallow eggs are gone from that case. If I ration myself to one-egg-a-day, I’ll have 5 days to get it done. Wish me luck.