Recipes to include in The Low Cholesterol Cookbook and Action Plan:
An easy-to-make low cholesterol triple threat featuring three cholesterol-lowering ingredients: oatmeal, almonds and apples. Make the oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker, and add flavor and crunch with cinnamon, almonds and apples in the morning.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon or more, or more to taste
- 1 apple peeled and sliced or diced, or more to taste
- 1/2 oz raw almonds (about 12) or more, to taste
Combine oats, water and skim milk in a slow cooker and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours (overnight).
In the morning, stir and portion into serving bowl. Peel and slice or chop apples and almonds. Top individual bowls with cinnamon, almonds and apples to taste.
Store any leftover oatmeal (without toppings) in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For another breakfast, just add skim milk (about 1/4-1/3 cup), stir, and microwave until hot, stirring after first minute. Add toppings and enjoy.
- Add the amount of water in the recipe - it looks like a lot, but it's not. It will be thick by morning.
- I like to chop the apple and almonds to get maximum crunch per bite.