After weeks of lo-co failure, victory at last. Last night I cooked dinner for the first time in weeks (a boring chicken breast, brown rice pilaf, steamed string beans – nothing exciting but at least it was healthy.) And today I re-started my lo-co morning routine of Metamucil followed by Centrum Cardio and Fish Oil pills.
Let the celebration begin.
It’s amazing how easily I got derailed. It started off with just being busy – the typical end-of-school-year insanity. Add to that my son’s HS spring sport and dinners flew out the window. And then I ended up with pneumonia – and the only good thing I can say about that is that I lost weight. (Though now that I’m on the upswing – 2 long weeks later – I have sadly gained it all back).
In all these weeks, I think the last thing I cooked was Toaster Oven Chicken. If I took a cholesterol test right now, I am sure I’d be horrified.
So naturally I googled ‘how long does it take to lower your cholesterol’ and found this ‘11 Tips to Cut Your Cholesterol Fast‘ WebMD article. Ignoring the syntax issues all around – and the ‘tip’ about medication (remember, WebMD is supported by big pharma) – this article reminded me that what I had been doing was the right thing.
I didn’t agree with the first two tips, but here’s a recap of the things I found most useful vis-a-vis kick-starting my lo-co lifestyle:
- ‘Get Moving‘ Ah, exercise. This, I need to be careful with as I’m still exhausted from the pneumonia – but we are going on a bike trip in Italy in June, so as soon as I am able to, it’s back to 2x/week spin class!
- ‘Avoid Saturated Fat’ Glad to learn it’s not eggs that are the big issue…
- ‘Eat More Fiber’ Metamucil – and veggies – here I come.
- ‘Go Fish’ I have re-instituted my bagel and lox for breakfast – not every day, but some days. Life’s too short for cereal everyday and I just can’t get on board with the oatmeal thing. And, of course, now that I’m off the anti-biotic and mucinex routine, have added back my Fish Oil pills that I probably shouldn’t have stopped but that was too many pills to deal with…
- ‘Drink Up’ – Haven’t had wine in weeks, but looking forward to some!
- ‘Drink Green’ – The benefits of green tea in lowering cholesterol are new to me – something to research.
- ‘Eat Nuts’ – snacking on almonds reminder – had a bag yesterday.
Wish me luck. Apparently, I need it.