So what I was hoping, while on vacation, is that I’d post about the challenges and triumphs of going lo-co on vacation.
Instead, my lo-co plan went on vacation.
Want to know what total food meltdown on vacation looks like? Well, it starts with having Eggs Benedict TWICE. (Apparently, I am a room service slut – thank goodness we rarely stay at wonderful places like this one in Southern California or I’d be on cholesterol meds in like 3 seconds flat).
So far on this trip, I’ve managed just 2 lo-co meal choices. For all other meals these past 8 days I’ve made choices like these totally NOT lo-co meals:
- Room service eggs benedict (have to list 2x as it’s such an egregious choice). At least I ordered it with salmon instead of ham. Though I do get that does not make up for the egg yolks PLUS hollandaise.
- A sausage (at least it was chicken/apple!) in Venice Beach, because: a) the Jody Maroni Sausage Kingdom is famous (infamous?) and anyway, how can you not order from a place named the Sausage Kingdom? And b) we were at Muscle Beach so nothing made any sense.
- A shrimp dish from a Top Chef Masters restaurant in Santa Monica. Fish would have been a lower cholesterol choice but the fish dish offered didn’t appeal to me…
- Quinoa Fritters from same Top Chef restaurant – the quinoa part is lo-co but the frying part is an obvious no-no.
- At the way cool and totally low-key OP Cafe in Santa Monica (complete w/ skateboard dude kid eating breakfast burrito), I had the best breakfast I’ve ever had: eggs and avocado, with tomatillo sauce on flour tortillas. This was not the kind of place you can order egg whites (or probably it is, but I didn’t). I did ask about their oatmeal but have to say, am glad I didn’t order it as the dish I ordered was truly spectacular.
- An apple pancake – served ONLY on Sundays – I mean how can you not order when it’s so special they only offer it once a week? I thought this was actually a good choice (a lot of fresh apple slices) until my husband and son informed me it tasted like dessert. Sigh.
- Beers & wine & margaritas daily … sometimes before 5pm.
- There’s more – lunches and dinners actually worse – but frankly, it’s all just too embarrassing to list here.
The only 2 good choices I made? Yesterday, I attempted to recreate the fabulous OP Cafe eggs and avocado in a tortilla dish – it wan’t on the menu at our resort, but they made it for me – and this time I remembered to order egg whites. It was good, not great – needed tomatillo sauce…
And then for lunch, I ordered a mixed green salad with strawberries and almonds – and actually, it was delicious. Which is a lot, coming from me, the salad hater.
So that’s my eating lo-co failure. We have jogged or played tennis every day, so that’s offsetting things a tiny bit.
And with that I’ll sign off – and go for a run. While listening to the surf, I guess I should plan some better food choices for today.